Why you should get off the couch and plan a trip today!

I am starting this post with a fake Buddha quote, because even though these words may have never left his lips, that doesn't make them any less true.

"The trouble is, you think you have time."
                                                         — Definitely not Buddha

This quote can be interpreted to mean a number of things, but today I believe it means that we have a tendency to put things off because we always think there will be another day to do it. In response, I give you this infographic from Tripinsurance.com. Take a minute to look it over, I'll wait.

Unfortunately, time is running out to see some of the world's most fascinating destinations. Now, encouraging travelers to visit locations being destroyed by mass tourism makes my moral compass spin, but I still think it is important to see the places you want to see before they are lost forever. But if you do decide to visit the Galapagos Islands, maybe don't take a cruise ship there and do your best to not further destroy the natural habitat of 9,000 species.

Keep in mind, you don't have to book a plane ticket and take a week off from work to experience a new place. A weekend away and a short drive to the next state or city is enough. How many gems are hiding a few towns over that you haven't found the time to visit yet? How many times have you repeated the phrase "Oh, I've always wanted to go there" or "try that" or "do that"? What are you waiting for? There will always be enough reasons not to go: "I'm trying to save up,"
"There's a lot going on at work," "Who will watch my dog while I'm away?" The hard part isn't making the plans, the hard part is being brave enough to go!

Another misattributed quote that inspires me is:

"Go at least once a year to a place you have never been before."      
       —Probably not the Dalai Lama

"But why?" you may be asking me. Why does it matter if I go somewhere new? I can look at pictures on the Internet and I'm perfectly happy right here where I am on the couch, eating cheese doodles and watching a rerun of Law & Order: SVU.

Believe me, I am plenty happy doing that too, but you know the expression you can't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes? I think we won't better understand each other until we've stepped out of our comfort zones and become the outsiders in a new place. One thing I can't stand is when people generalize or stereotype a group of people they have a) never met and b) never took the time to understand. My goal isn't to get preachy, but if you take the time to experience new places and meet new people, you will learn a lot about them and a lot about yourself, too.

"Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer." 
      — I have no idea, probably someone on Pinterest.

Okay, one second while I get down off my soap box. I want to leave you with more inspiration to go out and see the world, so here are some photos from my trips to Italy. So what are you waiting for? Andiamo!

Venice, Italy             
Venice, Italy

Sorrento, Italy
Don't forget to check out the Pinterest board for this post for quotes, photos and more to inspire your next trip! 

And in keeping with the "time" theme I started with, here is your fun fact for the day: The Musee D'Orsay in Paris houses the largest collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist masterpieces in the world. However, before it was a museum, it was a railroad station with two large clocks that could be seen from outside the building to help travelers. Visitors to the museum can still see these clocks today, in fact they can stand right behind it and look out at Paris from behind the clock face. 


Thanks for all of the support I've already received! I hope you enjoy my second post too!
-Sam

Comments

Popular Posts