25 Items = 30 Possibilities

Welcome back! This post has been several days in the making because 1) I had to try on a lot of clothes and 2) I get easily distracted when it is sunny outside. But anyway, for my third post I want to focus on one of the most important aspects of traveling: Packing! Packing is usually a source of frustration and anxiety for travelerers. "What if I forget to bring something?" "What if something explodes and ruins everything?" "What if the airline loses this bag I have so carefully packed?" 

To help assuage your fears, I have compiled a list of packing tips to make sure you don't forget or ruin anything. Then, at the end of the post I have planned out all of the outfits I plan to bring on my trip to Greece and Turkey next month. A total of 25 items (including shoes and accessories) equals about 30 outfit options for a 7-day trip. Not that I will need 30 options, but since I am not accustomed to the weather on the coast of Greece in June, I figure I had better be prepared.

This post will be a little wordy, at least at the beginning, so for some comic relief I have provided this humorous (and strangely accurate) video from one of my favorite YouTube stars, Jenna Marbles. Warning: Some language is NSFW.


I hope you found this video funny, but even if you didn't, we can still learn something from Jenna here. So let's start with the tips:

1. Make a list. Take some time a few days before your trip to start plotting out your list. Carry it with you so when you are going through your daily routine you remember the little things you need but may have forgotten to write down, such as moisturizer or socks. You would be surprised how many times I have forgotten to pack socks. This also prevents you from bringing unnecessary items when you are packing in a rush.
2. Don't overpack. This is a perfect example of "do as I say, not as I do," because I am the queen of overpacking. But I am happy to say I have gotten better. Overpacking will make it harder for you to re-pack everything at the end of your trip when you're much more tired and much less organized, so having extra room in your suitcase will make the task easier. If you feel you have overstuffed your bag before your trip, open it again and re-evaluate the items, then remove at least 5 things you can do without.
3. Roll, don't fold your clothes. This prevents wrinkles and takes up less space in your bag.
4. To avoid airline personnel going through your bags and upsetting your careful organization, put any non-clothes items on top in clear plastic bags.
5. To avoid spills of any liquid substances you are bringing, unscrew the cap and put plastic wrap over the top, then screw the cap back on. For products with pump-tops, utilize the locking option most have built in. If no locking option is available, purchase a screw-top container and use the plastic wrap option. These can be found at drug stores or dollar stores.
6. For short trips, master the carry-on and avoid checking luggage. 
7. For longer trips, pack half the amount of clothes you need and bring laundry detergent so you can wash your clothes at a laundromat.
8. For trips lasting about a week, pack items that can be worn more than once without stretching out and are easy to rinse and dry in a pinch.
9. Bring an extra bag for souvenirs that can be easily folded up and stored in your suitcase. However, know your airline's policy on the number of checked bags and carry-ons you are permitted to use. Some will charge extra fees or have a bag limit.
10. Put heavier items on the bottom to avoid crushing items when rolling or carrying luggage.
11. Don't bring anything you can't afford to lose. When you look back on your trip you won't remember how nice your necklace looked while taking a ride in a Gondola, unless that necklace was lost during your travels and you never saw it again. Avoid this kind of heartache and go light on the accessories.
12. Keep money hidden in your suitcase during your trip incase something happens to your purse or wallet. Note: Always keep luggage locked when left in hotel rooms or during transport.
13. If traveling to another country, get a power converter to use in their outlets. Do your research and know what kind of outlets they have and what kind of converter you will need. This will avoid damaging your appliances or power outlets.
14. Throw out old underwear as you go. This advice was given to me during my first trip abroad in high school and I have followed it ever since. Don't know what to do with those pairs of underwear that have seen better days but are still sitting at the bottom of your drawer? Bring enough to last you the trip, but throw out the old pairs as you go. This frees up space in your suitcase and in your dresser drawers.
Luggage Tips:
1. Use a TSA lock. Any other kind of lock will be cut off at the airport. You can bring a different lock for after you get off the plane, but only use the TSA lock on the airplane.
2. Know the airline's approved weight and dimensions for checked baggage and carry-ons to avoid fees.
3. Invest in sturdy luggage with big wheels and quality materials to avoid embarrassment and headaches if it falls apart.
4. If your suitcase is generic-looking, add colorful string, tape or other easily identifiable markers so you can pick it out easily at baggage claim.
5. Put a luggage tag on it with your name and phone number incase it does get lost.

Finally, here is a great tip I learned in the June 2013 edition of Real Simple magazine. Reader Donna Cervelli from Burlingame, California splits her and her husband's items into two different bags. That way, if one bag is lost or delayed, neither is left empty-handed.


Now that you know how to pack, here is an example of what to pack. I took the time this weekend to plan out every possible combination of the items I want to bring abroad with me. I tried to pick clothes that don't stretch out or wrinkle, and can be washed easily if need be. I have a total of five pairs of shoes (which, if you know me, is a shockingly low number) that can be mixed and matched with almost any outfit depending on its purpose. I created outfits for sightseeing, cruising (we will be on a cruise ship for a portion of the trip), and going out at night.

Sightseeing:
From top left: Striped dress, Kohl's; Pink ruffle dress, Kohl's; Navy blue shirt and polka dot skirt, Target; Mint shirt and pastel pink jeans, Marshall's & Charlotte Russe; "Travel More Work Less" shirt, Modcloth.com; Blue dress and brown leggings (for airplane), Marshall's & Victoria's Secret; Navy blue shirt, white tank and striped blue shorts, Kohl's & Target; Navy blue shirt and pastel pink jeans; Mint green shirt with dark jeans, Victoria's Secret & Charlotte Russe. Shoes: Sandals, Kohl's; Blue flats, Target; Converse sneakers, DSW.com. Hat: Target.
Going out:
From Top Left: First two same outfits, just add heels! Cobalt blue heels, UrbanOG.com; Coral top and dark jeans, Kohl's; Black top with dark jeans and black heels, Kohl's & DSW.com; Sheer blue anchor top (two ways to wear) with pastel pink jeans and blue flats, Target.
Cruising:
Purple one-piece bathing suit, Modcloth.com; White dress with belt, Kohl's; Same bathing suit in teal, Modcloth.com.

Like I said, I have a problem with packing light. However, all of these outfits are light, mix-and-match-able, and easy to clean. Plus, I have enough for sightseeing during the day and dancing at night! Not to mention, I haven't actually packed yet. So I will be following my own rule of packing, analyzing and removing at least 5 things!

For the fact today I am sticking with fashion: Did you know high heels were originally worn by men? The high heel was developed in Asia to keep shoes from falling out of the stirrups when riding a horse. Eventually, the trend made its way to Eastern Europe where heels distinguished the nobility from commoners. Women started to catch on to the trend and wore heels to appear more masculine, and the lower class began to adopt the heels as well. So ladies, who do we have to thank for our aching feet and bad backs? Men. Of course.

Sorry this post was so fashion-heavy! If I had a boy to dress I would have done a guy version too, maybe I can work on that for the future. Also, I am always looking for feedback and constructive criticism and I am happy to try to answer any travel questions you may have! Thanks for checking out my blog and I hope you return soon! Don't forget to check out my Pinterest page for all of these outfits, inspiration and more!

-Sam

Comments

  1. Sam, I'm so excited for you and can't wait to read about all of your adventures!!!

    I was in Greece in June a few years ago- true summer weather and amazing for siteseeing and lounging on a cruise ship deck :)

    xo
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! And thank you so much for reading my blog! Any must-see destinations I should check out while I'm in Greece? Where did you visit, we'll be in Athens, Mykonos, Patmos, Rhodes, Crete and Santorini!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts