Sunday, October 16, 2016

Free Travel Guides!

Calling all travelers & Amazon Prime members! Amazon recently released a new perk for members, Prime Reading, offering free eBooks to ALL Prime members! Available titles include popular nonfiction books, magazine subscriptions, children's books and more. But the category I find myself most interested in is the list of Free Travel Guides from Lonely Planet! I love Lonely Planet guides and now I can access all of them right on my Kindle! Their Travel category also includes some travel writing, so you may have a hard time sticking to their 10-title limit. That's right, I found out pretty quickly that I couldn't get every title I wanted. The Prime Reading service is similar to a library in that you're actually "borrowing" the titles from Amazon. But it's easy enough to trade in a title you've already borrowed for a new one. Unfortunately, this doesn't work with every eBook in your library, only the ones included in the Prime Reading program. After much consideration I narrowed my list down to some guides for countries I expect to visit soon (I see you Peru and India), plus cool titles like:
 
"An Illustrated Journey: Inspiration from the Private Art Journals of Traveling Artists, Illustrators and Designers," which combines sketches and stories from well known artists and travelers.

If you don't already have a Prime membership, you can sign up for a free 30-day trial. And if you don't have a Kindle, you can download the Kindle app to your smartphone or tablet to read any Kindle titles. Or you could buy a Kindle, up to you. I love my little Kindle Paperwhite, even after years of trying to fight the eBook craze because I prefer a real book. But Amazon offers so many free titles, I figured I was doing myself a disservice by not taking advantage. If you are already a Prime member and don't want to stick to the 10-title borrowing limit, you can upgrade to Kindle Unlimited for another $9.99/month.

I hope you're as excited as I am for this new Prime Perk, and now that my Kindle is done charging I'm going to go check out some of my new guides!

Safe Travels,
Sam

2 comments: