Travel Hacks: How to Sleep on a Plane

Before I offer tips for sleeping on the plane on your next trip, I should mention that I have been blessed with the ability to sleep just about anywhere. Movie theaters, my desk at work, the back of a taxi/pickup truck in Thailand, nothing is sacred. So I don't usually have trouble falling asleep on a plane, especially at the end of an exhausting trip. Usually I'm asleep before everyone has even made it on the plane, much to the chagrin of my travel partners and seat mates as they glare with envy. But that doesn't mean I don't have advice and tips, ranging from free to significantly more than free, for when counting sheep isn't enough.

Free

  • Wear comfortable clothes. Anything too tight, itchy or otherwise uncomfortable will make it harder for you to fall asleep when all you can think about is how much your jeans are pinching your stomach.
  • Play soothing music. Whether you bring your own music or listen to the in-flight radio, make sure it's something slow and instrumental. I like to listen to Explosions in the Sky. The fewer words the better.
  • Try some relaxation techniques. If you're familiar with meditation, you can use those techniques to clear your mind and help you fall asleep. If not, counting is always a good go-to when you need to relax your brain. Choose a high number, in the high hundreds, close your eyes and try to count to that number. The trick is to only concentrate on the counting. If you let your mind wander to other things, it won't work. You want your brain to relax, your breathing to slow, and you should drift off to sleep before you get anywhere close to your original number.
  • Bring something that relaxes you. Kids have their favorite stuffed animals, but adults can have comfort items too. Whether it's comfy socks or a cozy sweater, whatever makes you comfortable will help you fall asleep and stay asleep longer.
  • Take advantage of the free alcohol. Many international flights offer wine and beer for free, and while you should never get drunk on a plane, it's awkward and uncomfortable for you and everyone around you, a drink or two can help you relax and fall asleep faster.
  • Sleep when everyone else is asleep. After drinks and food have been distributed and collected, there is usually a time when the window shades are lowered, lights go off and everyone tries to fall asleep. This is the best time to sleep when there are fewer announcements and light pollution to keep you up.
  • Move your seat. On my last flight back from Thailand I had a young boy behind me who kicked my seat, banged on his tray table and had an awful cough that kept me awake during the whole flight from Koh Samui to Vancouver. The plane had an hour layover to refuel and put us through an additional security check, so after making it through, I begged the woman at the desk to move my seat to anywhere else on the plane. I explained that the boy had been kicking my seat, coughing and otherwise disturbing me in a very calm tone without putting blame on anyone, besides the little boy. She checked her computer, which stated the plane was full, but she must have seen the desperation in my eyes and appreciated that I wasn't trying to make a scene, because she called someone on the plane who told her there was one last seat open in the back of the plane on the aisle. "I'll take it. You're a lifesaver." I slept the rest of the way to New York.

 Cheap

  • Buy an eye mask and ear plugs. I bought this set from Amazon and loved it. The eye mask is molded so it doesn't rest directly on your eyes or nose, and the ear plugs come in their own plastic container. Plus the pouch it comes with is big enough to fit the mask, ear plugs and my compression socks without taking up too much room in my carry-on.
  • Bring your own pillow & blanket. The blankets and pillows they provide on the plane are rarely washed, which can keep a germaphobe up for hours. Instead, bring your own travel pillow and blanket to feel more clean and comfortable. I love this Vera Bradley Fleece Travel Blanket, it can be used as a pillow or unfolded to a blanket and features a strap so you can attach it to the handle of your suitcase when not in use. And you can wash it! Depending on your sleep habits, there are plenty of neck pillow options to choose from. There's the traditional neck pillow,
    The best way to let your neighbor
    know you're not in the mood to chat.
    Source: Amazon
    inflatable neck pillow, J-Pillow, Trtl Neck Support Pillow, and if you are a secure enough person to not care about the stares you'll receive, you can try the Travelrest, Little Cloud Nine Travel Pillow, or Ostrich Pillow.
  • Bring a book or activity. Depending on what relaxes your mind, reading a book or doing a Sudoku or crossword puzzle can help take your mind off the stress of flying.
  • Sleep aids. This is a method I have not tried, but there are those who swear by it. If you already use sleeping pills at home and know how they affect you, then you should feel comfortable taking them on the plane. However if you have not tried them before, I recommend trying them out before your trip to make sure you don't have any strange side effects. Sleep aids can be bought over the counter or prescribed by your doctor. Personally, I know Benadryl, an anti-histamine, puts me right to sleep without any side effects.

Pricey

  • Buy noise-canceling headphones. Block out your neighbor's snoring, that baby crying, and whatever else is keeping you from falling asleep. Bose is the popular choice for noise-canceling technology, but they can be expensive. I have these headphones from Bohm that cost less and work just fine. They have a long-lasting battery and come with a carrying case to protect them in your bag.
  • Upgrade to Economy Plus. If leg room is your issue, spending a little more for the added comforts of Economy Plus might be worth the cost. 

Splurge

  • Buy a Business Class or First Class ticket. If you can swing it, a seat where you can lay down flat and don't have to climb over someone to get to the bathroom is the closest thing to paradise you'll get on an airplane. Or, figure out how to perfect the art of the free upgrade. And if you do, please share your tips with me!
If you try all of these tricks and still nothing works, don't give up on traveling, you still have options. Try to avoid overnight flights when possible and build in time to sleep when you arrive at your destination. Depending on when you land this might not help you adjust to jet lag, but not sleeping at all won't benefit you either. 

I hope these tips help you next time you find yourself wide awake on a red eye! And for more travel hacks, check out my Pinterest board.
Save Travels,
Sam

Comments

  1. I was just browsing for relevant blog posts for my project research and I happened to discover yours. Thanks for the useful information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my blog! Glad it was helpful! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really helpful, your insight on how to sleep on a plane and Travelers will surely be glad with your insight. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a great time reading your article about traveling, This is very helpful. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this great post,! Since COVID I have been out from travellin, Vegas road under-25 etc ... really miss there and wants to go back !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts