Book Review: What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding

See more on my Instagram: frametheshot
As a single woman in her late 20's who lives to travel, I can relate to Kristin Newman. Newman is a comedy writer who worked on popular television shows such as "That 70's Show" and "How I Met Your Mother," and used her spare time to travel the world with friends or by herself. Her travel tales and biting comedy would have been good enough for a memoir, but Newman also shares her sexual exploits with men around the world. Sometimes her trysts were hot and steamy, other times bordering on awkward, but Newman's re-tellings are always entertaining.

In a world where women are expected to represent purity and virginity, it is refreshing to hear from the Amy Schumers and Kristin Newmans who talk openly about sex; the good, the bad and the sometimes gross. Throughout the memoir you follow along as Newman goes from long-term girlfriend girl, to picking up men in bars around the world, to — well you'll have to read it to the end to find out.

Newman's exploits take her from Argentina to New Zealand to Russia and back again, all while exploring a new side of her, one she calls "Kristin Adjacent." Kristin Adjacent is not shy or insecure, she can flirt with and land any guy in any bar around the world. I, too, have a similar "coming out of my shell" attitude whenever I travel, so I loved reading Newman's stories compared to her "normal" life of work and family, etc. It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who truly feels like herself when abroad, away from responsibilities and worry.

I wouldn't call Newman's stories too racy or provocative, there's no "50 Shades" going on here. Your Mom might even enjoy this book, if your Mom had some wild romps in her youth. Maybe not the right book for your grandmother, but definitely the right choice for your single (or taken) friend, sister, aunt, cousin, favorite barista, whatever, and especially anyone who has fantasized about a sizzling foreign love affair, and who hasn't?

You can look for this book at your local bookstore or get it in paperback, audiobook or Kindle edition on Amazon: What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding: A Memoir.

And for more travel reads, check out my Travel Reading List Pinterest board.

Thanks for visiting, I'll be back with more travel product reviews next week!

Safe Travels,
Sam


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts