Show Me the Money!

Hello all! I wanted to get at least one more post up before I leave for Greece and Turkey this Saturday! I may try to get another one up this week, but I won't make any promises. 

I went to the bank last week to exchange some US dollars into Euros and Turkish Lira, so I thought I would focus this post on what you need to know about money when traveling.

Take it from someone who loves to spend money.
First of all, before you even think about where to get your money exchanged, come up with a budget of what you want to spend on your trip. Research the places you want to visit to figure out admission fees, transportation costs, tipping policies, etc. Always leave a little room in the budget for emergencies as well. 

Once you have your budget in mind, convert some money before you head to the airport. Many airports will convert money for you, but every well-versed traveler I've ever met has advised against using them unless it is an emergency. They charge hefty fees and may not always have the best exchange rate. Instead, I suggest visiting your local bank or ordering the foreign currency online. AAA members can take advantage of their conversion services but will be charged a $15 shipping fee for amounts under $1,000. Personally, I went to TD Bank and was able to pick up the foreign currency in two business days. Here's a tip: I only wanted to exchange enough money to have 100 Euros and 100 Turkish Lira before I left. However, since my transaction was going to cost less than $250, I was going to be charged a $10 processing fee instead of the $7.50 fee for higher amounts. I decided to purchase more Euros to be charged the lower processing fee and have more money on hand when I land in Greece. 

It is always a good idea to have some of the local currency available when you land in a foreign country. This makes it easier to pay for transportation and grab something quick to eat or drink should you need it. However, I would not suggest using cash exclusively during your trip. For the best exchange rates, use your credit or debit card for any transactions when you can and to withdraw money from an ATM. That way you will have a record of all of your transactions and will save the most in exchange rates and fees.

Familiarizing yourself with the local currency is a good way to avoid confusion when paying. A simple Google image search can give you a good idea, or I found this site by International Currency Express Inc. where you can view the front and back of the currency in many different countries. However, it does not list every country and it only shows the paper notes, not the coins. It is important to examine your coins before spending them. For example, countries that use Euros and Pounds use coins instead of paper notes for 1 Euro/Pound and 2 Euros/Pounds.

Once you have your money, you want to keep it safe. Money belts and pouches that go around your neck and under your shirt are a good way to protect your money, but not convenient when you actually have to make a purchase. Instead, separate your money into different areas, so incase your wallet gets stolen or your suitcase gets broken into, you aren't left without money in a foreign country. Keep some money in a wallet (and I suggest putting that wallet in a bag with a lock on it while touring the city), have some in a money belt or neck pouch incase your wallet gets stolen, and leave some locked in your suitcase. 

Pickpockets also are a huge problem around the world and they know every trick in the book, the best way to avoid them is to be one step ahead of them. 
  • Avoid large crowds if you can and always keep a tight grip on your purse or bag.
  • Do not open your bag in a crowd. Move away from the crowd and keep an eye out for any suspicious characters.
  • Put a lock on the bag you are using to carry your money.
  • Don't keep your wallet in your back pocket.
  • Sometimes pickpockets work in teams, so while one is distracting you, the other is lifting items from your pockets. Keep a safe distance from strangers who approach you and always be aware of your surroundings. 
I don't want to give the impression that traveling abroad is a scary thing or that your money is likely to get stolen. In all of my trips abroad I have never had anything stolen from me. However, it does happen and it has happened to friends of mine. The best advice I can give is to always use your best judgement and always be aware. You'll be fine.

Now the best part about bringing money abroad is spending it! Every big city will have vendors with pictures, jewelry and other exotic items that you want to get your hands on to bring home as a souvenir. While these vendors can be friendly, they also know that as a tourist, you have money to spend. So to add to your experience and save some money, I suggest you haggle! Not only will you get a better price, but it's fun too! The Italians are known for their flirtatious nature and I once kissed a young man on the cheek in front of the Colosseum in Rome so he would give me a better price on rosary beads I was buying for my grandmother. (Warning: Do not start offering kisses just to get a better price. I was with a large group of people, surrounded by plenty of witnesses, in broad daylight. This may not have been the smartest thing I've ever done abroad, but it does make a great story!)
Come on, would you have said no?
Finally, for my last piece of advice: If you got it, spend it! Converting your money back to dollars is a hassle and you will probably end up with less than you started with. Grab a nice dinner instead or pick up some extra souvenirs. Last year when my roommate and I had extra money in the Amsterdam airport, we bought some snacks for the plane and kitschy souvenirs to remember our trip.

For the fun fact today, let's revisit the Roman Colosseum. The Colosseum could hold 50,000 people and was so well designed, it could be emptied in about 10 minutes. I don't know about you, but I've never seen a stadium of that size empty so quickly. 

And are you wondering why there are so many holes in the facade? Much of the original stone facade was destroyed during an earthquake in 1349 and the stone was reused to build churches, houses, etc. No longer needing the bronze clamps to hold the stone in place, they were dug out and melted down to be used elsewhere, leaving behind the pockmarks we see today.


There's no Pinterest board for this post but we'll see if I can squeeze another one out before I leave. Otherwise, I will try to update a little next week while I'm traveling! Even if it's just a photo or two, and look for details about my trip when I return! Thanks for tuning in and I will talk to you again when I return!
-Sam

Comments

Popular Posts